Saturday 5 December 2020

Trailer mod

Just an update with some progress.

First of all I modified my trailer. In the original configuration it has 3 keel rolls wich usually is perfect for most sports boats without a keel. For a boat with some keel like the Pocketship it works as well but with one nasty flaw: This trailer is tilting which is nice but the pocketship has a quite pronounced keel-front which hooks behind the second roll. It takes a lot of power to push up de boat and winching it in order to get the keel on the second roll. I actualy think it is allmost on the structural limits. 

CLC boats sells a trailer for the Pocketship that has skids instead of rolls which doesn't have tha problem. A disadvantage of the skid type trailer is however that you need to drive the trailer further down the ramp almost floating the boat off the trailer.


Skid type trailers doesn't seem to be available in the Netherlands so I decided to make the modifications myself. After all I can weld 😜. 

I made the skid from a hard wood terrace plank with 2 L-profiles on the sides welded together with 2 tubes. These tubes fitted the existing roller-struts. 



As you can see in the pictures I was able to fix the skid in the construction of the rolls. Now wait and see if i still can get the boat off the trailer 😳.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment