Monday 1 July 2019

Learned the first important lessons

I really had some tough struggle welding the centerboard trunk & keel section.

I know that aluminum deforms when welded and I guessed that as aluminum is quite bendable I could correct this afterwards... Not so!

I learned that when this construction is welded it is enormously stiff and strong (which is positive as well of course). I also learned that complex constructions deform in unpredictable ways.
I had to consider more tack welds and a smart welding order. And I even may consider another design of the parts when I build this ship again.

Fortunately I could correct this trunk & keel within acceptable limits but that took several hours.
First I tried to bend the deformed parts resulting in more severe deformation in others parts, leading into too big gaps to weld and a kind of "modern art" in the end.

After a night sleep I decided to cut out the "modern art" and inserted a new piece. That worked out quite good. Welding the new piece deformed the side of the trunk again which I could prevent by cutting a few slits in the trunk to absorb the heath deformation and weld them afterwards water tight again 😇.

The section is not finished yet but hope that the most difficult part is done by now 🙏.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment