Sunday 30 July 2023

New Rig

2 Months since I posted the last modifications, I guess I am improving 🤓.
I mentioned that I would try to use my mainsail and rig that as a lugsail. And it worked! Although with some comments of my sailmaker as a lugsail needs a reinforced luff. I temporarily solved this with a Dyneema line connecting the forward ends of the yard and the boom alongside the luff limiting the tension. 

Now the sail was raised as a lug in about half a day and it looked very pretty already. 



But it took several weeks tinkering, testing and experimenting to make it a real functional lug rig. I experimented with the attachement of the halyard, the main sheet, the downhaul and a variety of other small features to keep the rig in place. And of course It had to meet a number of “Arjen”-requirements:
  • Construction as simple as possible
  • Easy to setup
  • Trimmable
  • Able to lower the mast easy and quickly without detaching downhaul, sail and halyard
  • Able to easily remove sail, yard and boom in one package for dry storing
Short test
I took Narhval for a sort test on a nice 3 BFT day on the local canal (Van Harinxmakanaal) and I found it sailing surprisingly well! Easy, relaxed and comfortable without any noticeable compromise to the sailing characteristics. It even tacked easier and it seemed to be a bit more controllable as well. Of course this due to the shifted CE which worked as I hoped for. 

Mizzen
Although the boat sailed better balanced it stil seemed to be a bit leeward and that was what I hoped for too. I got courages and decided to implement a mizzen as well. I considered a few options for this sail and came up with a triangular spritsail. This sail is very easy and fast to fold down to the mast, it doesn’t require a long stern sprit and it lacks yard and boom. It also is trimmable with the tension of the sprit. I made it so that I only have to detach the sprit tensioner to be able to pull out the mast-sail-sprit-pack in an instant. 

Probably I have to trim the mainsail a bit forward now but as the weather here in the Netherlands has been “reset” to 5-6BFT and rainy I wasn’t able to test it in the current configuration yet.






One of the things I learned up till now is that the calculation of CLR and CE isn’t as easy and straightforward as it seems. Especially the CLR needs some reconsideration. I found lots of information on the internet usually calculating the lateral surface under water as a whole finding the CLR.
As the shape of the bow influences the frontal resistance the shape of the lateral resistance must have a similar effect too. More about that in a next post.
 

5 comments:

  1. I find the mizzen an all round very useful little thing.
    I have rigged mine with 2 sheets to the port and starboard quarters of the transom.
    That way it is self tacking - and I have the overwhelming advantage of being able to use the sail to manoeuvre with - I can grab the appropriate sheet and back the sail to skid the stern around.
    Cheers,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice idea Frank. As the mizzen mast is almost aligned with the transom I guess I have to experiment with 3 sheets 😉

      Delete
  2. Leuk dat je zo aan het experimenteren bent met de tuigage. Het is ook een erg leuk botje geworden en wel bijzonder dat het in aluminium is uitgevoerd. Mooi gedaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Botje vind ik wel een leuke naam voor een bootje ;-)

    ReplyDelete